We're HiringMedia + Marketing Intern
WHAT IS IOWA BIG?
Iowa BIG is a high-school program designed to help students lead their own learning journey and discover their gifts, talents, and interests. BIG is a place where students get to learn through working on authentic projects in our community. At BIG, students learn not only the content in courses, but how to get along in the world and build the skills to make them “present-and-future-ready. BIG is designed to engage students within their community, help students build professional networks, and realize the corridor is a great place to live and work. BIG was created by our community, for our community.
MEDIA INTERN JOB DESCRIPTION
Iowa BIG is seeking a passionate, creative, and flexible intern who thrives in a dynamic, always changing environment. The Media Internship typically lasts one year (June to June). The intern will serve as a support for all BIG staff and students at both tables (New Bo + Boyson) to help document the day to day of Iowa BIG and present it to a variety of audiences. This includes generating content and running social media accounts and campaigns, creating marketing materials for registration and recruitment, keeping the website up to date, and more. The media intern must have a “no task too small” mentality, as projects and tasks often come up frequently. We are looking for a creative and driven individual who has a passion for art and design who also can utilize that passion to amplify the happenings, culture, and vision of Iowa BIG to prospective students, parents, partners, educators, and the entire ICR community and beyond.
AN IOWA BIG MEDIA INTERN…
- Works well in a team environment.
- You will be working with eight teachers, two strategic partner developers, a leadership coach, our executive director, community partners, and our student body to accomplish tasks and projects. Often, you will receive ideas, projects, and tasks from multiple different people.
- Has a passion for learning.
- Since Iowa BIG is a school, learning is at the center (even for staff). You must have a desire to keep learning and further better your skills.
- You will always be learning more skills to help further your craft (whatever that craft may be), and you will learn multiple skills to help you in your media work. You might also be asked (once mastering the skill) to help teach students or peers.
- Has awesome communication skills
- Communication during the internship is crucial. Iowa BIG utilizes many forms of communication, and you must be able to adapt to send and receive information across all platforms (i.e. face-to-face, slack messaging, email, phone calls, etc.)
- Is creative.
- Media and art are at the center of this role. Iowa BIG is all about empowering this generation of high school students to be the most innovative, forward thinking, creative individuals, and this applies to you as well. Constant innovation is center to media and marketing. Often, the staff is receptive to ideas for projects and ways to make BIG better.
IN ADDITION TO THE QUALIFICATIONS ABOVE, WE ARE SEEKING SOMEONE WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- High School Diploma or higher.
IOWA BIG DOESN’T REQUIRE, BUT PREFERS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH…
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Software frequently used – Photoshop, In Design, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere Pro
- If you do not own a DSLR, BIG has equipment to borrow when the need arises.
- Storytelling + Writing
- Web Design
- Specifically with WordPress using Divi Builder.
MEDIA INTERNSHIP DUTIES
- Generate content and run social media accounts and campaigns.
- Telling student stories, sharing events, reaching out to the public, sharing project work, etc.
- Create marketing materials for registration and recruitment.
- Upkeep of the Iowa BIG website.
- WordPress utilizing the Divi Builder plug-in
- Documenting happenings at both tables.
- Capturing photos and video of project work, milestones, events, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Iowa BIG/Cedar Rapids Community School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Iowa BIG offers compensation